''Representing the injured.''Free Attorney Consultation & Case Evaluation
Free Legal Tips & ResourcesSe Habla Español

Foodborne Illnesses

Legal Tips for Protecting Your Rights When You Are Made Ill By Contaminated Food

  1. Save what is left of the food.
  2. See a doctor if ill.
  3. Report the incident to the local Department of Health

    Minnesota Department of Health – (612) 676-5363
    St. Paul Inspections – (651) 266-9090
    Minneapolis Inspections – (612) 673-5800

  4. Save all written evidence of purchase, eg. purchase receipts, checks, etc.
  5. Get the names and phone numbers of all witnesses.
  6. Notify the food establishment of the product purchase and illness and make a note of the name and position of the person notified.
  7. Seriously consider talking to a lawyer before you talk to an insurance adjuster for the food vendor.

Do I Need an Attorney?

Not every illness caused by contaminated food requires the involvement of an attorney. However, please keep in mind that insurance companies make their money from the difference between premiums collected and claims paid. They have an incentive to pay out as little as possible on a claim.

An insurance adjuster for the food establishment has no obligation or duty to inform you of your rights. They have the benefit of consulting with retained attorneys for the insurance company.

Remember, once a claim is settled and a Release executed, you will generally be prevented from seeking any further compensation from the released party. Insurance industry studies show claimants who are represented by an attorney recover substantially more than those who are unrepresented.

Initial consultations with an attorney are usually free and do not commit you to hire an attorney.

Check out these helpful websites if you have been made ill by contaminated food:

Center for Disease Control
Mayo Clinic
USDA/FDA (Food & Drug Administration)
Minnesota Department of Health

Call 1-866-MN-LAW-4-U or 1-866-665-2948 to Speak to a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured in Minnesota, you have options. Contact an attorney at Sawicki & Phelps, P.A. in Inver Grove Heights for experienced Twin Cities personal injury representation.

Servicios del intérprete disponibles - Se habla español