''Representing the injured.''Free Attorney Consultation & Case Evaluation
Free Legal Tips & ResourcesSe Habla Español

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Legal Tips for Protecting Your Rights When You Are Involved In An Automobile Accident

  1. Report the accident to the police.
  2. Get the names and phone numbers of all witnesses.
  3. Report the accident to your insurance company agent.
  4. See a doctor if injured.
  5. Take photographs of the property damage and all visible injuries.
  6. Seriously consider talking to a lawyer before you talk to an insurance adjuster.

Do I Need an Attorney?

Not every automobile accident requires the involvement of an attorney. However, please keep in mind that insurance companies make their money from the difference between premiums collected and claims paid. They have an incentive to pay out as little as possible on a claim.

An insurance adjuster for the at-fault driver has no obligation or duty to inform you of your rights. They have the benefit of consulting with retained attorneys for the insurance company.

Remember, once a claim is settled and a Release executed, you will generally be prevented from seeking any further compensation from the released party. Insurance industry studies show claimants who are represented by an attorney recover substantially more than those who are unrepresented.

Any settlement involving a minor child must be approved by a judge.

Initial consultations with an attorney are usually free and do not commit you to hire an attorney

Questions about your rights under our Minnesota No-Fault law? Scheduled for an examination with an insurance company doctor? See our Know Your Rights section.

Told that your car has been "totaled" and wondering about the value of your car? Check out these helpful web sites:

Kelly Blue Book
Consumer Reports

Call 1-866-MN-LAW-4-U or 1-866-665-2948 to Speak to a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured in Minnesota, you have options. Contact an attorney at Sawicki & Phelps, P.A. in Inver Grove Heights for experienced Twin Cities personal injury representation.

Servicios del intérprete disponibles - Se habla español